Search This Blog

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Thought for the Day: The Man Who Was Paradox

"Tolerance is the virtue of the man
without convictions." G.K. Chesterton
G.K. Chesterton was a giant of a man -- literally -- at six feet, four inches tall and about 300 pounds. His girth was a constant source of amusement, to himself more than anyone. Chesterton is called the master of paradox perhaps because he himself was paradox personified. Despite his massive size he had the soul of a diminutive Mother Teresa, humble and self-deprecating. I have no doubt he was small enough to pass through the eye of the needle and the narrow gate when he met his maker in 1936. I pray that he be raised to the honors of the altar, because I believe the man who wrote what's been described as the best work on the angelic doctor, St. Thomas Aquinas, resembled him not only in size and in literary output, but also in holiness.

For Catholics who write and blog to defend the faith and try our best to do so in charity, he would be the ideal patron. I particularly admire the way he could disagree vehemently with his opponents and remain friends. I'm asking him to interceded for me that I might do likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment